LANSA Data Sync Direct
Data synchronization is the key to improving supply chain efficiency
Companies with the leanest supply chain and the most efficient business operations can gain significant advantage over their competitors. Both suppliers and retailers need smooth and efficient methods to communicate with each other electronically. This can be accomplished through Global Data Synchronization (GDS) – a worldwide initiative intended to resolve product information inaccuracies.
The physical implementation of GDS is the Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN), which enables data pools – such as 1WorldSync – to register Global Trade Identification Number (GTIN) information in the GS1 Global Registry™. Once registered, GTIN information can be published to any trading partner worldwide that subscribes to a certified data pool.
LANSA Data Sync Direct is a scalable business solution that provides full product information and life-cycle management. Data Sync Direct makes it easy to manage product information, comply with GDS standards, assure the quality of product data and automate the process from the creation of a product to its appearance on a consumer’s mobile phone when scanning a product bar code.
The GDSN value proposition
The GDSN reduces the flow of inaccurate information between suppliers and retailers. It facilitates synchronization of item data between trading partners and reduces inaccurate product information which can result in lost shelf time, delayed time-to-market and costly deductions, while ensuring that all subscribing trading partners are synchronizing standards-compliant data.
LANSA has a compelling solution
To implement global data synchronization for supply-side trading partners, item data needs to be extracted from your line-of-business systems and sent to your chosen data pool via XML messages. This can be a daunting task for suppliers not familiar with Internet-based B2B transactions involving their line-of-business or ERP systems.
Data Sync Direct takes the uncertainty out of complying with requests for exchanging item information. Simple message translators only address the transport and don’t address enterprise integration or product life cycle management. Data Sync Direct is a turnkey solution that integrates with your item-of-record database (a typical ERP system component). Synchronization messages are delivered directly and securely to the data pool using AS2 digital certificates and encryption. There is no need for third-party exchanges – you own the software and can transmit to the GDSN without any per-transaction costs associated with third parties.
Meeting diverse needs with flexible options
For companies with only a small number of GTINs, LANSA offers an inexpensive hosted option accessible via a browser. Larger companies wanting to take advantage of the Global Data Synchronization Network quickly can also use LANSA's hosted option until they’re ready to install Data Sync Direct on their own servers. LANSA offers an easy migration path because the solution is the same, whether hosted or installed on your servers.
Integration with your ERP Systems
Data Sync Direct allows suppliers to access item information already stored in their existing ERP system and securely send it to their data pool. No additional software or outsourcing services are required. Data Sync Direct can be installed on your production server and integrated with your existing item definition files. Data Sync Direct can also be delivered on an appliance server, pre-installed, configured and ready for use. If you do not want to use your ERP as a single point-of-truth, or if your ERP does not include all attributes required for GDSN compliance, Data Sync Direct can store the additional attributes and also provide the work flows needed to maintain your GTINs. You have the choice of using only data from your systems, only data in Data Sync Direct or a combination of both.
Data Sync Direct hosted provides you with GDSN access and data synchronization at minimal cost. It is designed to get you connected quickly and easily with the functionality you require to manage your GTINs. It offers a subscription fee payment structure without any up-front outlay. It’s the ideal solution if you have a small amount of product data to synchronize and there’s no need to retrain staff when you’re ready to install Data Sync Direct on your own servers.
Why choose LANSA for your GDSN solution?
- Nothing is more important than industry experience and knowledge. LANSA has been a leader in the data synchronization initiative since its inception, with implementations across many industries including alcohol and beverage (ABI), hardlines, consumer packaged goods (CPG), private label, fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) with direct store delivery (DSD), healthcare and foodservice.
- LANSA is fully certified by 1WorldSync and numerous other GDSN data pools for both supply- and demand-side transactions to enable suppliers, wholesalers and retailers for GDS.
- LANSA has extensive direct integration experience with major ERPs (including SAP, JD Edwards, BPCS, Aldata, Retek and many others). Descriptions of some of these installations can be found at www.lansa.com/pim/en/casestudies.htm
- Today’s global economy finds many organizations with facilities scattered throughout the world, requiring support for multiple languages. Data Sync Direct has full multilingual capabilities to support employees in their native tongue.
- Data Sync Direct supports synchronization with multiple data pools including the most heavily utilized data pools and destinations – and provides accessibility to over 30 country data pools around the globe.
- Diverse organizations often employ multiple ERPs spanning different hardware and database environments to support various product lines. Data Sync Direct provides a single view with cross platform, multiple ERP capability all within a single product.
- Users are provided full Product Information Management capabilities and/or on-boarding support to leverage existing item files within your enterprise.
- Product lifecycle management can lead to questions of status and approval for specific items or categories. Data Sync Direct includes a sophisticated, specialized item synchronization workflow solution to manage this process throughout a product’s life-cycle.
- LANSA is the software leader in data synchronization software as evidenced by its installed base of over 300 customers, participation in standards committees for individual markets, involvement in beta programs providing the first certified solutions to market leaders, published articles and presentations at some of the industry’s largest events.
- LANSA was the first organization to be certified on the most recent major release of software from 1WorldSync and the first organization to be certified for Price Synchronization for Retailers by 1WorldSync.
- Data Sync Direct includes functionality specifically for wholesale distributors and brokers, understanding that many companies need to act as both supply- and demand-side participants in global data synchronization. LANSA has extensive experience in wholesale distribution implementations with significant functionality integrated into the product for these users.
Accreditations and Certifications
LANSA is a certified solution provider with numerous global data pools such as 1WorldSync, GS1 UK TrueSource Premium, GS1-DAS, etc., and can provide implementation services to help you meet GDSN compliance. Find out more..
Supports Various Deployment Scenarios
- Entire solution can reside on your production IBM i or Windows server (acting as both application and database server)
- Windows application server pointing to any JDBC-compliant database on other platforms (UNIX, Linux, mainframe, etc.)
- Installed on LANSA servers for hosted deployment
Direct Integration to your Item-of-Record Database
- Leverages your existing Item information wherever it may reside – no data replication
- LANSA extends your Item-of-Record to support additional GTIN attributes required by GDSN standards – no need to modify your file structures
- Built-in mapping for popular ERP packages and releases
GDSN XML Standards Compliant
- Supports all available class extensions as well as Attribute Value Pairs (AVP)
Centralized Browser-based GTIN Manager
- Allows you to maintain GTIN attributes as well as launch messages to the data pool from your browser
- Supports full GTIN life cycle – registration, publications/notifications, corrections, etc.
- Clone GTINs (same-as-except) to save time
- Supports full GTIN containment by linking various packaging levels (i.e., each’s –> cases –> pallet)
- Stage transactions for future batch posting
Easy-to-Use Browser-based Administration
- Role-based authority that controls many aspects of user access rights and permissions
- Users can be limited to authorized internal and external GLNs
- Item Categories – set up and enable those standards compliant categories that are applicable to an item
Extensive Auditing Capability
- Any transaction sent to a data pool is logged along with the XML response sent back
- Any error/warning messages sent back are easily retrieved by either GTIN or GLN inquiries
- Publication actions by retailers are automatically appended to audit files
- Enables a collaborative approach to collecting valid GTIN data attributes
- User-defined workgroups
- Users can subscribe to specific events that affect them, such as synchronization or GTIN maintenance
- Users can take appropriate action based on subscribed messages in their work lists
- Allows you to upload data to the GTIN Manager from spreadsheets
Online Help is Configurable to your Business Process Flow
Implementation Services included as Part of Turnkey Engagement