Visual LANSA is the original low-code development platform. Our team of software developers have been perfecting rapid application development tools for 30 years. We’ve helped thousands of companies like yours embrace the steady onslaught of new technology waves with developer productivity in mind. To help you stay the course, we offer the simplest way for developers to stay focused on the vision and needs of the business by future-proofing development work against changing technology standards such as user interfaces, form factors, operating systems, databases, security, scalability, and more.
The core components of Visual LANSA include a business rules engine and a high-level programming language to enable highly productive development and maintenance of web, mobile, and desktop applications, deployed on-premises or in the cloud. All these applications can be built using one easy-to-learn programming language from within a single IDE (Integrated Development Environment). With LANSA, you can write once and deploy everywhere.
Prototype Faster and Better
Visual LANSA includes rapid prototyping tools inside a business application framework, enabling developers to more quickly and effectively gather and clarify business requirements for faster feedback loops. Business users quickly see and experience designs and results across the entire development phase. Unlike traditional throw-away prototypes, Visual LANSA’s prototypes evolve and transition into the final production application.
Rapidly prototype, develop and deploy applications to both Web and Windows from a single code base - Web example. Rapidly prototype, develop and deploy applications to both Web and Windows from a single code base - Windows desktop example.
Low Code Development Platform without Constraints
Visual LANSA is a cross-platform, low-code development tool tightly focused on just one thing – rapidly creating high quality enterprise-scale applications. It is much more than a productive visual IDE. Visual LANSA’s platform independent business rules engine and high-level business-focused language, RDML (Rapid Development and Maintenance Language), enables you to develop once and deploy for web, mobile, desktop, and cloud based applications all from a single code base.
You’ll easily reach all of your existing technology infrastructure including your ODBC and JDBC compliant databases as well as a plethora of other connectivity, data transfer, and data transformation needs with LANSA’s portable business rules engine and fast open middleware.
Data definitions, business rules, and algorithms are centralized in the business rules engine. This reduces development time for new applications and ongoing maintenance because the data definitions and business rules are defined outside the program code. If any of the definitions or rules need to be changed, you only have to make that change in one place and it instantly enforced in all of your applications.
Mobile App Development
Going mobile doesn’t have to be difficult. Visual LANSA shields the complexities of mobile development from your developer. Would you like to be able to build mobile web, hybrid and native mobile apps for any device and any form factor? Would you like to access business information from any database on any server? You can with Visual LANSA.
Start building modern user experiences with real-time access to mission critical data while taking advantage of device features such as GPS, camera, and Bluetooth connected devices. With Visual LANSA’s offline capabilities, we make it easy for your users to keep using their apps even after they lost their connection. Visual LANSA is the complete low code development platform that will have your team delivering high-quality enterprise-grade mobile apps quickly.
Visual LANSA insulates developers from the complexities of web development. The flexibility built into the LANSA low-code development platform caters to experienced developers who want greater speed of delivery as well as inexperienced developers who don’t have time to learn and master a half dozen different programming technologies.
LANSA simplifies web development by automating common application development tasks:
- User interface – pre-built templates, wizards, and an application framework provide automated user interface design and build.
- Business rules and logic – declarative tools for preparing and editing business rules and logic, stored in a global business rules engine.
- Database – built-in database interfaces and connections. Database constraints and triggers generated automatically from the business rules and logic stored in the business rules engine.
Cloud and On-premises Deployment
You never know what the future will bring, but with Visual LANSA’s built-in cross platform capabilities, you can migrate your applications to the cloud or other on-premises platforms. With little or no code modification, you can migrate any LANSA application to the Cloud - AWS or Azure. If you need on-premises flexibility, you can choose between Windows, Linux and IBM i server platforms to run your mission-critical applications. We even have your back if you need to swap out databases. Since Visual LANSA eliminates database and platform lock-in, you have full control over what the future may bring. It’s everything that low-code was meant to be.
Learn Visual LANSA Fast
Developers will enjoy all the productivity benefits a Windows-based integrated development environment brings: point-and-click to select fields and files, cut-and-paste to rapidly edit and debug and a powerful forms painter to design the user interface. Anyone who understands the essentials of columns, tables, and programming basics can master LANSA’s RDML and develop web, mobile, desktop, and cloud applications just like a full-stack developer. Online training and tutorials allows you to hit the ground running.
Within the Visual LANSA IDE, developers work with column and table definitions, validations, database relationships, and components stored in the business rules engine, as well as a graphical data modeler for databases. The source editor in the visual IDE enables you to quickly take on web, mobile, and desktop application projects for deployment in both on premise and cloud environments.
Developers can build applications starting from a blank page or use a wizard to guide them through the early stages of development. On the other end of the project, you’ll have advanced enterprise-scale applications that securely integrate with your corporate databases, but you’ll author a whole lot less source code to make it happen. It’s the best of low-code development with the least constraints on the scope and capability of your applications. Visual LANSA takes care of the underlying code complexities, deployment platform specifics, and the multifaceted dynamics of scaling and security.
The simplicity and power of LANSA’s RDML makes developing cross-platform software easier. Developers write applications using RDML, choose a platform for deployment and LANSA implements the applications in native code best suited for the platform. You gain the native performance benefit of compiled platform-specific software, but you never see that code. You always remain at the LANSA RDML level for testing, debugging, maintenance, and enhancements. Need to deploy on another platform? It’s as easy as the click of a button.
- Developer productivity – with less code to write, developers create applications quickly and maintain them more easily
- Rapid application development – using a visual IDE, an intuitive development language and application frameworks and templates while Visual LANSA takes care of the underlying technology details
- Reduced maintenance costs – separating business logic from application code reduces the instances where maintenance occurs when business logic changes
- Choose the architectural style – use object-oriented or procedural programming techniques to suit the nature of the application and the skill level of your developers
- React quickly to rapidly changing business needs – made possible by LANSA's methodology for software development
- Technology independence – developers build the applications and LANSA generates platform portable code and takes care of the technology needed for the implementation
- Build web applications that look and perform like desktop applications
- Build native or hybrid mobile apps
- Build desktop applications
- Automatic screen generation
- Application generation wizards – create applications by answering a few questions
- Comprehensive platform portable language
- Component-based development – for building reusable components and sharing across projects
- Platform portable business rules engine
- SQL support – create tables and views via SQL
- Cross-platform database access including triggers and business rules
- LANSA enforcement triggers – apply business rules for every program that accesses a database
- Build multi-tier applications and partition the application between the client and server
- Multilingual and DBCS language support
- Intrinsic functions – includes floating point and integer arithmetic and binary string conversions
- Various encryption capabilities including TLS/SSL
- Data modeling – view entities and relationships with the LANSA Visual Modeler
- Configuration management, task tracking and version control support
- Object-oriented (OO) development and procedural style development
- Supports design patterns like MVC and SOA
- LANSA’s fast, secure and scalable middleware – optimizes communications between the server and client components of the applications
- Integrated Microsoft SQL Server Express database for development and testing
- Independent developer or team development – Visual LANSA supports your choice of development team structure from individual developers to large teams
- Developer environments – Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise using Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, or Sybase SQL Anywhere
- Develop in the cloud or on-premises
- Desktop installation and upgrade tools – the Visual LANSA installation is simple and fast, just answer a few questions to define your choice of deployment
- Advanced visual development environment – one customizable IDE for all projects
- Syntax checker and code completion – helps developers to create correct code quickly
- Programmable templates – library of business-oriented application templates
- Client and remote server RDML debugger
- Deploy to single or multi-tier Windows, Linux, and IBM i (System i, iSeries, AS/400) servers
- Partition the application – decide where parts of the application will run, partitioned between the client and server dynamically
- Deploy client applications – deployment tools to distribute client-side application components
- Deploy Web applications to the Internet, Extranets and Intranets
- Deploy applications in the cloud or on-premises
- Web applications support Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer 11 or later
- Native and hybrid mobile applications – deploy applications for access via mobile devices
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Oracle on Windows, Linux and UNIX
- Sybase SQL Anywhere
- MySQL database
- IBM DB2 on IBM i (System i, iSeries, AS/400) servers
- Unicode support for files