The Visual LANSA low-code development platform enables software developers to build multi-experience applications spanning mobile, web and desktop in days instead of months.
Visual LANSA can help your company in a variety of ways:
- Faster Development Writing less code means you can build more apps faster than before. Dramatically improve developer productivity.
- Digital Transformation Transform your manual and paper-based processes into cloud, desktop, web and mobile applications for better efficiency, productivity and data accuracy.
- Go Mobile Satisfy business demand for mobile applications. Build mobile apps in-house with your current developers.
- Cloud Computing Quickly move applications to the cloud for better agility and elasticity. Improve availability while cutting operational costs.
- Skills Management Eliminate the need for specialized development skills. Equip and enable all your developers to work on any part of any application.
Break away from the status quo
Application development complexity is at an all-time high. For software developers to deliver modern applications with multiple user experiences, they must learn numerous programming languages, research varied open-source frameworks, hand crank source code and support a long list of changing technologies.
This approach is far from optimal because:
- Hand-cranking source code is inefficient and a maintenance burden.
- Locking an application into a specific technology stack is restrictive.
- One user interface style does not suit everyone.
- Duplicating business logic across multiple applications is error-prone.
- Developers are constantly chasing new languages as technology evolves with less attention to business needs and requirements.
The Visual LANSA low-code platform makes it easy to break away from the status quo and start delivering applications using a much better approach.
Benefits of Visual LANSA
Simplify software development and insulate your applications from ever-changing underlying technologies with the Visual LANSA platform, while gaining these benefits:
All your developers become full-stack developers
In a world of highly specialized developer skills, it’s nearly impossible to find full-stack developers that can work on any aspect of an application. With the Visual LANSA low-code development platform, you enable every member of your team to extend any part of an application without having to drop down into other IDEs or having to write code outside of the low-code platform. The Visual LANSA platform contains everything a developer needs to build, maintain and extend their applications: a full-stack language, WYSIWYG designer and one-click deployment for all form-factors.
Directly integrate with anything
The success of any low-code platform relies on its ability to integrate with everything, whether the objects are in the cloud, on-premises, on a local device, server or workstation. While most low-code platforms claim to integrate with your existing infrastructure, they fail to mention that you must wrap all the integration points as RESTful APIs. With Visual LANSA, you can directly integrate with your existing data and assets using numerous supported protocols, APIs, libraries and file formats to maximize reuse and deploy apps even faster with less code and less technical debt.
Simplified business rules management
Traditional software development intermixes business rule logic with application and UX code. Visual LANSA has an integrated Business Rules Engine, which acts as both the custodian of business rule definitions and the enforcer of the rules. The Business Rules Engine kicks into action when an application updates business data. There is great architectural advantage in storing definitions, rules and visualizations in a central location – external from application code and external from the database – because it dramatically shrinks your maintenance burden, eliminates code duplication, eases testing and improves data quality. LANSA customers often cite a 50% to 80% reduction in their application maintenance efforts and costs.
Reach beyond the limits of typical low-code
Most low-code platforms limit development to mobile-first apps. This can work well for projects that only need system of engagement capabilities. With Visual LANSA you can build these apps. But you can also quickly build much more complex apps that serve as systems of record with enterprise-grade scale. This means that all your development needs can be handled with one low-code platform.
Future-proofed and flexible deployment options
Take a moment to think about all the different application deployment options that have emerged over the last decade. How can you be certain that a relatively small decision you make today doesn’t turn out to be a larger, bad decision a few years from now? With Visual LANSA, you don’t have worry about making wrong decisions, because the Visual LANSA platform insulates your business applications from underlying device, browser, database and other technologies — thereby future proofing your applications. Visual LANSA is the only low-code platform that enables developers to build web, mobile and desktop user interfaces that can run on your choice of server platform, whether in the cloud or on-premises. Swapping out server platforms, databases and migrating to or from the cloud is much easier.
Low-code development (and maintenance) platform
When you consider that application maintenance can typically consume nearly 80% of an application’s total cost of ownership (TCO), the initial build is a relatively small portion of the overall TCO. Therefore, the means and methods you use to maintain and extend your low-code applications should warrant much greater concern.
Most low-code platforms only enable productivity gains in the initial design and development phase. Within the Visual LANSA development platform, you’ll find maintenance and extension of your applications is just as easy as the initial design, build and deployment. The Visual LANSA low-code development platform enables developers to build powerful applications without having to leave the platform. Armed with the platform’s full-stack programming language, business rules engine, graphical designer and much more, developers have everything they need during development, extension and maintenance.
Whether you are looking to develop new solutions or modernize and extend existing business applications, Visual LANSA provides you with the very best of low-code development, but without limitations.
- Build web applications that look and perform like desktop applications
- Build native or hybrid mobile apps
- Build desktop applications
- Automatic screen generation
- Application generation wizards – create applications by answering a few questions
- Comprehensive platform portable language
- Component-based development – for building reusable components and sharing across projects
- Platform portable business rules engine
- SQL support – create tables and views via SQL
- Cross-platform database access including triggers and business rules
- LANSA enforcement triggers – apply business rules for every program that accesses a database
- Build multi-tier applications and partition the application between the client and server
- Multilingual and DBCS language support
- Intrinsic functions – includes floating point and integer arithmetic and binary string conversions
- Various encryption capabilities including TLS/SSL
- Data modeling – view entities and relationships with the LANSA Visual Modeler
- Configuration management, task tracking and version control support
- Object-oriented (OO) development and procedural style development
- Supports design patterns like MVC and SOA
- LANSA’s fast, secure and scalable middleware – optimizes communications between the server and client components of the applications
- Integrated Microsoft SQL Server Express database for development and testing
- Independent developer or team development – Visual LANSA supports your choice of development team structure from individual developers to large teams
- Developer environments – Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise using Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, or Sybase SQL Anywhere
- Develop in the cloud or on-premises
- Desktop installation and upgrade tools – the Visual LANSA installation is simple and fast, just answer a few questions to define your choice of deployment
- Advanced visual development environment – one customizable IDE for all projects
- Syntax checker and code completion – helps developers to create correct code quickly
- Programmable templates – library of business-oriented application templates
- Client and remote server RDML debugger
- Deploy to single or multi-tier Windows, Linux, and IBM i (System i, iSeries, AS/400) servers
- Partition the application – decide where parts of the application will run, partitioned between the client and server dynamically
- Deploy client applications – deployment tools to distribute client-side application components
- Deploy Web applications to the Internet, Extranets and Intranets
- Deploy applications in the cloud or on-premises
- Web applications support Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer 11 or later
- Native and hybrid mobile applications – deploy applications for access via mobile devices
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Oracle on Windows, Linux and UNIX
- Sybase SQL Anywhere
- MySQL database
- IBM DB2 on IBM i (System i, iSeries, AS/400) servers
- Unicode support for files