Upgrading your Hardware key to V13
|Date:||13 December 2012|
|Product/Release:||Visual LANSA V13|
|Abstract:||Hardware keys need to be upgraded for Visual LANSA V13|
|Submitted By:||LANSA Technical Support|
Visual LANSA developers will be required to upgrade their Hardware key (also known as a dongle) in order to use V13. This upgrade can be done without physically returning the hardware key to your LANSA distributor by using the Licensing - Hardware Key upgrade facility, available from the LANSA folder.
Requesting a hardware key upgrade involves
- Making sure the hardware key is plugged into your PC
- From the License -> Generate License ID menu option, clicking the Read Hardware Key button obtain the current hardware key details.
- Checking the Up To Version checkbox in the Requested Upgrade section and typing 13 in the entry field
- Clicking the Generate Request button so that an upgrade request is generated
- Once the upgrade request is generated, you can click the Email All button to send an automatic request to LANSA licensing.
- If you have not already specified your user details, you will be prompted to specify user details so the request can be sent (and the completed request can be sent back to you). For example, company name, telephone number and email address.
Applying a hardware key upgrade involves
- On receipt of the hardware key upgrade mail from LANSA Licensing, save the attached file locally.
- Open the Hardware key license facility and take the Upgrade License option.
- With the From File option enabled, click the Browse button and navigate to the location where the file was saved.
- Select the file and click the Read new license button.
- The Current License information and the Upgrade To license information are shown.
- If the details are correct, click the Apply License to Hardware key button. You should get a confirmation message that the hardware key has been upgraded successfully.
Note: While requiring a V13 development license is the most likely reason for generating a hardware key upgrade request, it is not the only reason. You may wish to upgrade to a web enabled dongle or add more seats (to a multi-user dongle).
While this is a simple process, there are some known situations that you might encounter when using the Hardware Keys upgrade facility. These situations apply to all types of upgrade requests.
- License is flagged as invalid after sending an upgrade request to LANSA licensing and applying the upgrade code.
Every upgrade request is unique and it is important to ensure that the actual request matches the code supplied by LANSA licensing. It is possible to accidentally or inadvertently generate multiple requests. In such a case, a mis-match between the upgrade request and the upgrade code might cause the invalid license after applying the upgrade.
The solution is to clear all requests (using the Delete Request button) and generate 1 single upgrade request and after applying the provided upgrade string, the license should be valid.
- It is possible to encounter fatal errors when attempting to send the email request. This can can occur on certain email clients and is caused by a incompatibility between the LANSA email facility used to send the request and the email client used. The simple workaround is to generate a new upgrade request and then click the Save button instead of the Email. The upgrade request will be saved to a local location. You can then use your email client to send a mail to email@example.com and add the upgrade request file to the email.
- Generating upgrade requests on old hardware keys might give an invalid license message after applying the license. Old hardware keys are sometimes not read properly by the sentinel driver but the read operation does not get flagged as unsuccessful and so the request is forwarded to our license department and a license is automatically issued based on an invalid hardware key serial number. The following manual steps can be used to overcome this problem:
- Remove the hardware key and write down the serial number that is on this hardware key.
- Put the hardware key back into the port and run the Hardware Key upgrade facility again.
- This time do not click the Read Hardware Key button but manually type in the code taken down in the first step.
- Specify the upgrade required and submit your request.
- You will get a mail back from LANSA licensing with the licenses to upgrade your hardware key.
If you encounter a hardware key problem not listed above, you should contact LANSA support for further assistance.