Fields that do not fit on a line in a report
|Abstract:||Having too many fields to fit on a line, or a single field that is too long to fit anywhere in a report|
|Submitted By:||LANSA Technical Support|
When there are too many fields to fit on a single report line, the fields can be printed on multiple lines instead. Also, if a single field is too long to fit on a line, it can be wrapped over multiple lines in a report.
Too many fields to fit on a line
When too much information exists to print on a single line, try to reduce the font size or change the paper format from portrait to landscape. Its also possible to print the report information on multiple lines instead of a single line. Notice how, in the report example below, the item details are printed over two lines:
- The first line contains the product code and sales values.
- The second line contains the product description.
Its easy to make a report section (detail, header or footer) span over multiple lines.
To do this:
- Switch to design mode.
- Pull the section in which extra line space is needed a bit longer. You will see that the pointer changes to a crosshair when it is positioned on the border of a section. While the pointer is a crosshair, that section can be resized by dragging the border to its desired position (use the left mouse button to drag).
- When the section is the desired size, simply drag and drop fields to wherever they're needed.
A field is too long to fit anywhere in your report
Long descriptions, such as notes and remarks, are often kept in long database text fields of 200 or more characters long. To print these very long fields "wrap" the field over multiple lines. (See the example of a wrapped description field in the picture below.)
To wrap a field over multiple lines, do the following:
- Drop the field into the report, like any other field. By default it will appear as a small field. Position the field wherever its needed and don't worry yet that it shows only part of the field contents.
- Focus on the field by clicking on it.
- Select the Field option from the Format menu, OR click on the right mouse button and select the Change Format option. Both options will pop up the Format String dialog box.
- In the Format String dialog box check/tick the option "print on multiple lines".
- If the number of lines needs to be automatically adapted to the length of the data in the field, leave a zero in "maximum number of lines". This will show all data, regardless of the number of lines it needs. To limit the number of lines to, for example, 5 enter a 5 in this field.
That is all that is necessary to make a field wrap over multiple lines. Its still possible to adjust the width and position of the field as usual. There is no need to adjust the length of the report section (like in the previous example. The length of the section will automatically adjust to the number of lines of the wrapped field.