LANSA Version 14 Feature Highlights
What's new in Visual LANSA Version 14?
Version 14 adds several significant new features to Visual LANSA's development tools. The new features provide additional options and capabilities for software architects and developers to use when designing and developing applications for desktop, Web and mobile contexts.
For more detailed information on these feature view What's New in LANSA Version 14Expand All
- Many web enhancements in Responsive Design features, including Layout Managers, Designs, which are roughly equivalent to CSS @Media queries and Variable sizing where a control is sized based on the size of its contents.
- Visual LANSA web page templates have been improved to offer a quick and easy to way to generate simple, abstract and responsive web applications that you can use as a fully functioning starting point when creating your own applications.
- VLF enhancements include Ready-made Filters and Command Handlers, Associated Instances and the ability to zoom and shrink Filters and Command Handlers.
- Installation/Upgrade/Deployment Enhancements include a simplified install using default values based on the Windows Start Menu Folder file names for many options. The use of one IIS Plugin and one website per LANSA configuration is now enforced from SP1.
- The Updated Visual LANSA IDE Home page includes new and updated Sample Applications, Samples and Examples.
- In V14 SP1, you can develop and deploy Applications in the Cloud. The Visual LANSA Development Environment (Visual LANSA IDE) and LANSA Scalable License on Windows (LANSA Web Applications) are available in the AWS (Amazon Web Services) Marketplace. The Visual LANSA for Web Development (Visual LANSA IDE) is available in the Microsoft Azure Marketplace. The LANSA Scalable License on Windows (LANSA Web Applications) is coming soon in Microsoft Azure Marketplace.
- A number of enhancements have been made to LANSA Integrator. Highlights including HMAC support for the HashService, dual authentication in SFTPService via public key and user/password, Kerberos authentication support in SpoolFile Manager and Database Manager, ExcelService performance improvements such as READONLY mode.
You can install a new Version 14 SP1, upgrade an existing V14 to SP1 or upgrade an existing Version 13 system (with or without Service Packs) to Version 14 SP1.
Most of a LANSA-based Web application now executes in the browser with calls to the server for database access and to execute specific server functions as required. Applications are written entirely in RDMLX using the Visual LANSA integrated development environment, the WYSIWYG designer and LANSA supplied visual controls. Developing and maintaining Web applications with LANSA has never been easier.
Visual LANSA ships with a number of sample applications and samples and examples written with RDMLX using the new Web capability, all of which are accessible from the Home Page within the Visual LANSA integrated development environment.
VLF One is the next generation of the Visual LANSA Framework with a more modern look and feel. The new version leverages HTML5 capabilities and uses the powerful new Visual LANSA Web capabilities. It includes a responsive design with easy reading and navigation with minimum resizing and scrolling across a wide range of devices.
LANSA provides both cloud development and deployment products for Visual LANSA. The Visual LANSA Development Environment Web Application Framework is for cloud development and the LANSA Scalable License is for cloud deployment.
Using the Visual LANSA Development Environment Web Application Framework, developers can build all application types supported by Visual LANSA, including Web, desktop and mobile applications.
The LANSA Scalable License is the foundation for creating a LANSA runtime stack on Amazon Web Services (AWS). The Amazon Machine Image (AMI) is designed for LANSA users to deploy applications they have built using Visual LANSA. Customers can use the runtime stack to run LANSA Web applications, Visual LANSA Framework applications, LANSA Integrator or a combination of these products in the cloud.
The products are available from the AWS marketplace on AWS.
The LANSA Mobile App, downloadable from the App Stores, allows LANSA Web developers to use their current Web skills to build hybrid mobile applications.
The LANSA Mobile App container provides access to client-side hardware, database and file systems (GPS, camera, external scanner and local SQL databases) for Visual LANSA Web and WAM applications. These are all accessible via widgets from Visual LANSA Web applications and via Weblets from WAM applications.
The LANSA App can host multiple concurrent LANSA Web sessions, document views and any other Web page. All Web pages can access the full range of LONGRANGE API capabilities.